We worked with Caledonian Mansions Preservation Trust to realise the restoration of this magnificent category ‘A’ listed, red sandstone tenement block above the River Kelvin on Glasgow’s Great Western Road. Designed by James Miller in 1897, it was originally intended to be an annex to the Central Hotel.
We designed and instructed extensive roof work, stone indent repairs to ashlar and decorative cornices and new windows. The access balcony was dismantled with new terracotta sections made to match the originals. Existing slates were saved and relaid on the front slopes, while the back slopes and turret roofs were laid with new Westmoreland slates.We worked with shop owners to restore and renew their shopfronts to match the original designs where possible.