Constructed in 1941 as a purpose-built prisoner of war camp, Cultybraggan Camp is one of the best preserved prisoner of war (POW) camps in Britain and also the only camp to house the SS.
Hut one is a Nissen hut occupying a prominent site at the entrance to the camp. Comrie Development Trust has worked with the Architecture and Design Scotland (A+DS) Sust programme, with funding from Greener Scotland, on a pilot project to refurbish the hut. It will serve as a reception and interpretation centre as the camp develops. It is envisaged that a permanent visitors’ centre will be built in the centre of the camp and hut one will become an office for the development trust. This refurbishment secures this historical building and creates a warm, useable space.
High levels of insulation
A&DS Case study for this project is here